[TI] Mariano Balsamo

Sheryl Hartnett sah71052 at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 17 23:36:36 CDT 2007

My cousin, Joan Bova, has a book,
I think it was called something like "Italians in
Missouri" copyrighted in 1929.  She read some of it to
me about a Mariano Balsamo:

>From my notes:

Mariano Balsamo b. in Termini Imerese in 1878
Came to US 1894 at 16 yrs old to St. Louis.

His first job in America was as an assistant to his
uncle (not named) at Fruit Supply Co. in St. Louis.

1900 Mariano established his own fruit business in
local Union Market and had 3 stalls.

1908 He started his present business of a wholesale
fruit co which is largest in St. Louis with an annual
volume of business of $3,000,000.  This company also
owns 1800 acres in Texas for cultivation of

His office was at 809-815 N. 4th St., St. Louis, MO

Anyone have this particular Mariano Balsamo in their

Joan said she will let me have the book when I visit
her next.
Sheryl  :)