[TI] Certificate Database - Mro

Mike Maddi m.maddi at att.net
Sat Sep 22 18:53:35 EEST 2007

Yes, it's more of a title for a skilled workman, as opposed to someone who was a farmer, which is contadino in Italian. So it would include shoemakers, carpenters, bricklayers, etc.

I think there was probably still a guild system in place in 19th century Sicily. So workers would train under an experienced person to learn the craft. Perhaps once you went through being tutored by someone more experienced and you had your own business for a while, you would qualify to be called "maestro."

I've noticed that on many records the witnesses for the record, whether death or marriage, would be of the same occupation of the person the record concerned. So even if they weren't related, those in the same occupation were close to each other.

Mike

From: acm605 at comcast.net (Tony Massaro)