[TI] LIVE FROM ROCHESTER, NY!

Paul J. Caito pjcaito at frontiernet.net
Sun Sep 30 07:14:15 EEST 2007

Whew!!!!!!

It is almost 11:30 PM and we have all had a great day going over our
ancestor trees, comparing lap-top information, trading pictures and
discovering as much as we can in as short a time as possible!

We all started out with a glorious sunny morning and many folks went out to
breakfast a little restaurant down the street from the hotel that Lynn
Venafro found in her travels.  Then over to the Church and everyone was
there promptly at 9 AM!  We had tables set up all along the church hall and
ancestor trees taped up on all the walls and every available space we could
find.  We had some beautifully printed trees and everyone enjoyed checking
out everyone else's ancestors!  Laura had photo's of our trip to Termini
projected on the wall from her computer which was a trip down memory lane
for those of us who were there.  We had many laptop computers which really
helped in comparing all the details of our trees.  We must have had seven or
more laptops at this reunion - more that I can every recall in the past
where all we had were printed books and trees.  Technology keeps moving us
forward!

We had coffee, donuts, Italian cookies, fruit and assorted drinks to keep up
properly nourished thru the morning and then had a box lunch delivered
around 12:45.  With such beautiful weather outside, most folks enjoyed their
lunch in the warm sunshine in the park which is adjacent to the Church.  The
sun was definitely shining on our group today!

Lucia Rini Sarraino Flevares (my third cousin, mind you) discovered some new
information about some of her Lamontia and Gaeta ancestors that she didn't
know about and that were in my FTM files - and even I didn't know they were
related to her.  I was fortunate enough to spend time with Frank and Ellen
Palmisano (my second cousin - discovered in Termini last year) going over
our Longo family trees and we found that my grandparents had pictures of him
and his brother when he was just five years old!  These pictures of him have
been in our family since the 1950's and we never knew who these little
children were - it was Frank all along (yes, he was a cute kid!).  He was
also able to identify another picture that my family had that turned out to
be his great-grandmother (his gt-grandmother and my gt-grandmother were
sisters) in her younger years.  We always suspected it was my
gt-grandmother's sister but we never knew for sure and never knew her name
until last year with the help of Frank.  What a great day we had.

We had John and Mary Badali, and their daughter and son-in-law, Marie and
Sabby Ruscica, Laura and Ray, Betty Budry, Rose Campisi, Ann Catalano and
her sister, Mary Jo Stitak, Leonard and Sam Coppola, Lucia Flevares and her
daughter Kris Flevares and her son George Flevares and his girlfriend Kaeti,
Madeline Gill, Nick and Roseanne Mascari (my fourth cousins!), Chris Meath
(sister of our List member Rita Hall), Gus and Mary Quattrocchi, Lynn
Venafro, Fred and Kathie Zeller, Joe Laiacona, and Jim and Judy McCarthy.
Check out our group picture on the Termini website later this week when
Laura posts our photo's.

Then my cousin, Nick Mascari, from Brockport, New York came and showed many
of us a huge (about 13 x 19) picture of the Termini Imerese Society of
Buffalo, New York taken at a special dinner in 1939 at the Hotel Statler
Hilton in Buffalo!  The Termini Imerese Society was a very active society in
Buffalo in the 1920's and 1930's and there must have been over 200 people in
this photo!.  My gt-grandfather belonged to this group and I looked in vain
to find him in the photo, but no luck.  I will examine the photo in more
detail as Nick has let me borrow it.  I was able to show many folks the
Buffalo Termini Imerese Society Lapel Pin that belonged to my gt-grandfather
and I wore the pin to the dinner we had tonight.

We finished up tonight with a very nice dinner at the Hyatt Hotel and the
time just flew by.  My only comment is that dinner service could have been a
little swifter, but I think everyone enjoyed their meal and we all contined
to have a good time talking about family.  We finished up with some great
group shots which Laura will post this week (if she has any energy left).

Well, this is the day from my perspective, spending time with everyone and
meeting up with many of my relatives.  Hopefully others will post their
thoughts and perspectives this week.

Many thanks for everyone who came to visit Rochester and share their time
and stories.  We missed a lot of folks who couldn't come this year, but we
were thinking of you and look forward to seeing everyone next year in
CLEVELAND!!!!!!

Take care and goodnight (now for a good nights sleep!)

Paul