[TI] [Fwd: Salvatore=Sam?]

sreif1956 at comcast.net sreif1956 at comcast.net
Sat Jul 19 22:36:27 EEST 2008

Mike, Uncle Willie (Salvatore) was actually born in Omaha, Nebraska in 1895.  The Pitti family moved there from St. Louis around the time just before the great St. Louis cyclone, but then returned thereafter when my when grandma and her twin were born in St. Louis in 1897.

The Pitti family originated in Florence, but after getting "escorted" out of town with the Medici, they took their money and headed south to Sicily where their money would go much farther because everything was so much cheaper, like the real estate, etc.  They ended up in the Palermo region and then to Porticello/Termini/Cefalo/Campfelice de Rocella/Belmonte Mezzagno.  They brought with them their education and music (many violinists in the family).

When coming to America, most about 1888-1910, they considered themselves Sicilian.  Although, I know of one small branch who refuse to believe that the family went to Sicily...they think that there was just a misunderstanding with the people of Florence and the aristocrats. Being a Sicilian is a "dirty" word to them.  So sad. They don't know what they are missing.  i have shared my documentation with them, but they still refuse to believe.

So, I guess they had to go through Calabria to get to Palermo in the 1600s, if you look at it that way.  Does that answer your question?  Probably not.  Oh, well.

Sharon
From: "Mike Maddi" <m.maddi at att.net>