[TI] [Fwd: Salvatore=Sam?]

Kathy Kirkpatrick gentrace at gentracer.com
Sat Jul 19 23:31:18 EEST 2008

Mike,

I've found that most Sams started out as Salvatores but not all Salvatores
became Sams. It depended more on the local population and the names most
popular there rather than a translation of the name. I work with a lot of
20th century researchers trying to locate living heirs to intestate
probates and when they come to me with a question like this I have to
answer that no matter what their birth name, they could end up as ANYTHING
in the US. Sad, but true for those of us trying to connect the dots. Of
course, names like Ignazio and Natale are most likely to be something
unrecognizable, but the same can be said for Salvatore and Vincenzo.
Sorry, no simple answer. However, Sharon's comment about all the men in
her family with one Italian name ending up with the same English name is a
very valid point. Not the same names used for Salvatore in every family,
but the trend to use the same English names for successive generations was
often followed, as at home with the Italian names.

Kathy Kirkpatrick
GenTracer
PO Box 11955
Salt Lake City, UT 84147