[TI] Rosina Demma Sharbel - 1935

Larie Tedesco ltedesco26 at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 27 04:34:44 EET 2009

I found a few death notices and tried to see if I could find them or their parents on the database.    If you are connected in some way you may be able to tell if the marriages in Termini are correct...I am typing as they are written.  

SHARBEL - In Houston, Tex., on Sunday, August 4, 1935, Rosina Demma, beloved wife of Thomas Sharbel, daughter of V. Incenzina Lanasa and Mercurio Demma; sister of Joseph, Leo, Frank, Salvadore and Marco Demma; aged 24 years, a native of Termini Imeresa, Italy.
     Relatives and friends are invited to attend the funeral which will take place on Tuesday, August 6, 1935. at 2 o'clock p.m., from the funeral home of Lamana-Panno-Fallo, Inc., 625 N. Rampart Street, near Muncipal Auditorium.
     Interment in St. Vincent de Paul Cemetery.
Times Picayune Publishing Co.
New Orleans, LA
August 6, 1935

New Orleans Bride Leaps to Death in Houston after Futile Hunt for Husband

Scores watch helplessly as Mrs. Lena Sharbel jumps into bayou, appeal broadcast by police

     Failing in a search for her unemployed husband who left her in a search of work after being discharged as a butcher in a Royal Street store, Mrs. Lena Scharbel, 24 years old, pretty New Orleans bride, leaped to her death Sunday from a viaduct over a bayou in the business district of Houston, Tex.
     Her husband was employed until a few weeks ago as a butcher in a store of the Atlantic and Pacific  Tea Company at 135 Royal Street.  He left the city after being discharged, and his bride, apparently under the impression that he had gone to Houston, went there in the hope of joining him.
     A score of motorists and pedistrians on the business traffic lane looked on helplessly as the dark-haired young woman plunged to her death. She removed a coat to a modish white ensemble she wore and placed it carefully upon the viaduct rail.
Plunges to Death

     Without an outward show of emotion she climed over the rail of the viaduct, clung precariously for a moment as she stared at two men rushing to save her, and then let go, plunging into the water below.
     T. E. Bennett, a salesman, dragged her body from the water a few minutes later.  Efforts at reauscitation failed.
     Dective O. O. Grounds, of the Houston police homicide squad, who broadcast the woman's frantic appeal for her missing husband last week identified her.
     "She told me then", said Dectective Grounds, "that she just had to find her husband shortly because she was about out of funds".  I broadcast her plea, "we never were able to find her husband".
     After she appealed for aid in a search for her husband, Houston police never heard nothing of Mrs. Sharbel until she leaped to her death Sunday.

No Explanation

     She left no note explaining her act, and the only means of identification, except the recognition by the police detective, was a photograph of Mrs. Sharbel and that of a man pasted in the rear of a small hand mirror carried by the victim.
     Her death was pronounced a suicide by the Houston coroner.
     Little information concerning Mrs. Sharbel was available here Sunday night.
     A man who identified himself as Lanasa and said that he was a brother of the victim, visited the funeral home of Lamana, Panno and Fallo, 625 North Rampart street, Sunday night and made arrangements for the receipt of her body there today.
     Attaches of the funeral home said that Lanasa left without giving his address or any details regarding Mrs. Sharbel.  He said that he came to New Orleans from New York more than a year ago.

Mentioned Chicago

     Sharbel was employed in the Royal street store until about a month ago, it was learned Sunday night.  At the time he was discharged, he is reported to have told friends that he was going to Chicago.  A letter from a Chicago firm asking for recommendation for Sharbel was received two weeks ago by officials of the store by which he was employed there.
     Other employes in the Royal street store quoted Sharbel as saying he had been married only a short time.  They said that he was frequently seen with a young woman whom he said was his wife.  No information was available Sunday night as to when or where he and the young woman who ended her life were married.
     Sharbel was described by acquaintances as being about 45 years old.  He is reported to have a son who is a student at the University of Alabama.
     At the time he was discharged by the New Orleans Store, he resided on Jasmine street, but occupants of the house did not know where he went after leaving the city.
Times Picayune
August 5, 1935
Page 1 & 3

Bride Who Killed Herself is Buried

     Funeral services for Mrs. Thomas Sharbel, New Orleans bride who jumped from a viaduct to her death in Houston, Tex., Sunday,  were conducted Tuesday at 2 p.m. from the Lamana, Panno and Fallo funeral home, 625 North Rampart Street.  Interment was in St. Vincent dePaul cemetery.
    Mrs. Sharbel, who was 24 years old, leaped from the viaduct into a bayou in the Houston business district.  Her body was sent to New Orleans Tuesday morning.  
     Mrs. Sharbel had left New Orleans about a month ago in an effort to locate her husband who had gone away to find employment after having been discharged from a position as butcher.  Mrs. Sharbel, the former Miss Rosina Demma, was a native of Termini, Italy.

Times Picayune
August 7, 1935

More information about the TerminiImerese mailing list