[TI] DNA for Genealogy - again

Carol Anne clkonfetti at gmail.com
Mon Apr 28 16:09:34 MDT 2014

Ann Catalano,

I have Catalano ancestors who lived in Termini Imerese, Sicily.

Jim,

Have you contacted all your DNA relatives and compared surnames, trees
and DNA segments? It's a lot of work!!! As far as the ethnicity
estimates go, I don't think they'll do anyone much good. I listened to
an online seminar recently where they were referred to as "parlor
games".

I have the most Italian confirmed DNA matches at 23AndMe, but I have
some at Family Tree too. At either company you want the $99 Family
Finder or Relative Finder test, unless you're looking for the direct
male line Y-DNA test (I wouldn't use any company but Family Tree DNA
for that one!)

My big question right now is can 23AndMe stay is business now that the
FDA has forbidden them to sell test for health, which was the main
part of their business. Genealogy has always been just a sideline with
them, and surprisingly they recently announced that they intended to
keep it that way!

Carol Anne