[TI] Reunion - St Louis 2014

Paul J. Caito pjcaito at rochester.rr.com
Mon Sep 29 20:31:45 MDT 2014

I would like to add my thanks to Laura and Kim for a wonderful reunion
weekend.  These weekends always go way too quickly!  The weather in St.
Louis was great for us "northern" folks (although we've been having great
weather here in Rochester, too - but that's the exception at this time of
year in this area).  I missed Thursday's activities but was very successful
on Friday at the library amassing a large number of obits on the Caito's in
the St. Louis area that I had wanted to track down.  I assembled my research
work for St. Louis several years ago and it was something that I
hoped/planned on doing at some point in the future - so the timing was great
and everyone at the library was very helpful.  Thanks to Laura for driving
Lynn Venafro and me to the library.

The Saturday event is always the best.  I cannot thank Scott Mascheri enough
for helping me discover an error that I had in my Mascari family tree.  I
was sick when I found out that I had a major error of a child in a family
that belonged to another family (not to mention all the descendants that
went with him)  - but finding and correcting errors is just as important as
finding new family members to add to the tree - so thank you Scott for all
the excellent work that you had done on the Mascari's!  I also found a link
to Tom Corso - so that was another "Bingo" moment too!!!  Then there was Dan
Longo who drove in from Kansas City with his son (3.5 hour drive I think he
said) wanting to know if there was anyone with any Longo links from Ohio -
"Bingo" again!  Within minutes of him walking in the door we immediately
found a link from his family to my great-grandmother's Longo side of my
tree.  He told me that he'd been on the list for several years but was just
kind of listening to the chatter and hadn't yet ventured into the
conversations.  So I would say to anyone out there who is watching from afar
to not be afraid to make your family lines known to us on the List and let
us know what your relatives lived and you just never know what we will all
find together.  By the time he left with all of my Longo information he had
his family tree back to the late 1700's and I gained a new cousin (fourth
cousin, once removed!).  In the process of discovering his connection to my
Longo's, Laura was right there with her information from the Termini
database and we were all working together making sure we had the right
connections - the database comes through again!  Just sitting and talking
with everyone and hearing their stories and seeing how they have preserved
and presented their family tree information to their family members is one
of the great things about our group.  I was bowled over at Sharon Reif's
books that she had done at Ancestry (and by way of looking through her books
you wouldn't believe how many of her ancestors were shot at, killed or ended
up in prison - it's all right there in her books - yikes! - my family tree
is really dull compared to hers!).  I could go on and on about everyone that
I talked to - I barely had a chance to gulp down lunch on Saturday from
trying to keep up with everyone.  Thanks to everyone who made the effort to
come and share their stories.

It was also cool that Laura had Termini mugs for sale as well as the
refrigerator magnets - I wanted two more mugs and they made it home
carefully wrapped in two shirts in my suitcase.

Lynn Venafro and Madeline Gill and I spent time on late Sunday morning to
early afternoon in the lobby going over more family tree's of the Mascari's
and we were able to piece together more of her Mascari line with some work
that I had forgotten about from the Mascari's of Buffalo - so that was great
to work on that.  Madeline and I went to the airport together as we were
both flying United Airlines to Chicago (on different flights) and from
Chicago to Toronto for her and to Rochester for me.  We met Tom Corso on our
way to the gate - I hope you made it out of there Tom!  I had multiple
delays but finally got to Chicago and Madeline was leaving St. Louis on a
later plane than I did - so I hope you weren't delayed too much either,
Madeline.  More delays in Chicago and I didn't make it back home until 11:30
PM (about two hours late).  Madeline was due back in Toronto by midnight -
if everything went on schedule - but I'm afraid to ask when she really got
back if her plane was two hours late like mine was.

Lastly - these meetings always make me realize how lucky we are to be able
to trace our family trees and we couldn't do it without the Termini
subscription database.  In my mind, the subscription to the database is a
bargain for all the information that it holds.  If you ever wondered if you
should subscribe I think almost everyone on the list who has subscribed
would tell you that they were able to get much more than their money's worth
for their subscription - it is a deal.  I've kept my subscription since the
Termini database started and to be able to have the ability to check details
and have all the updates that continually come to the database is money well
spent.

Thanks again to all who made the weekend "happen" and I look forward to
seeing everyone again next year in Minneapolis/St. Paul with our host Corie
Lindemann.

Paul

Paul J. Caito
Rochester,  NY